Applying direct heat to your hair isn't always a bad thing - as long as it is in moderation. We all want to keep up with our length checks, manage our new growth or may fancy a different hairstyle from time to time. If you're on a no heat challenge then that's amazing! Keep up the fab work. If you are a heat user then keep reading on ways to prevent heat damage.
Common Reasons For Heat Damage
- Everyone can get heat damage but unhealthy hair is more prone to heat damage. The number one reason why people get heat damage is due to the overall health of their hair being damaged
- The settings on your hairdryer or straighteners/flat-iron could be set too high. Some people with a thicker hair texture tend to think you have to use a higher heat setting - definitely not the case.
- You are not protecting your hair from heat properly. Do not use oil alone as a heat protectant. You don't want to "cook" your hair. It is best to use a product that is a heat protectant or has heat protective qualities
Ways To Prevent Heat Damage
- Not using direct heat is the best method. Indirect heat for deep conditioning is OK, but air drying is even better.
- Creating a healthy moisturising hair regime. This includes using shampoo, a deep conditioner and keeping up with protein treatments. The stronger and healthier your hair is, the more resilient it will be towards heat damage.
- Find a good heat protectant.
- Always set the temperature on your hairdryer or straighteners/flat-iron to a lower setting.
- Letting your hair air dry for as long as possible will cut down the blow drying process.
All of these helpful tips are easy to adapt into your everyday hair routine. We'd love to know if you've ever had heat damage and how you have managed to overcome it. Tell us in the comments below to share your story with us.Naturally yours,
Team Flora & Curl
Are you transitioning from a relaxer, heat or colour damage? Well if you are, then we know the struggle can be real!Check out our top 5 tips for a ...
So what is this routine Flora & Curl loves? We stand by the L.O.C/L.C.O Method! The routine every curly girl struggling with dry, brittle, dehy...
A wave of beauty trends are sweeping across social media and we're here for it. With many of the ingredients that can be found in our kitchens, it'...