Hello, grey curls! Let's warmly welcome them to our spiralised strands and look after them. Although many people think that going grey is all doom and gloom, is it really as bad as we think it is? Some people cover their greys whilst other's embrace them - whatever your preference, it is still important to look after them (and it's not all doom and gloom, it's natural).
What is grey hair?
We call it grey, silver or even white - but did you know that grey hair is in fact clear hair?! This is because 'grey' hair has no pigment & does not produce melanin in the cortex of the hair shaft.
Why is grey hair so fragile?
Due to the lack of pigment-making protein and melanin, grey hair is prone to much more damage from UV rays and external environmental factors. You may think that SPF is just important for skin health, but believe it or not, our curls (especially our greys) need it too! You can add a layer of protection daily to your grey curls with the help of our African Citrus Bloom Superfruit Hair Oil.
Our fortifying blend of exotic plants & fruit includes great benefits for scalp and curl health:
- 10+ Antioxidant-rich oils instantly seal in moisture
- Protection from harmful UV rays and heat
- Effective protection from harmful UV rays and heat, such as straighteners and hair dryers
- Vitamin C-rich fruit infusion balances and purifies the scalp
Why are grey hairs so coarse?
Grey hair feels wiry, coarse and dry due to the reduced production of sebum from the hair follicles. A good stance to take to battle coarse curls is to implement a solid moisturising regimen. We suggest adding hydration by using our Hydrate Me range which includes our Rose Water & Honey Cream Shampoo, Conditioner, Leave-In Detangler and Jasmine Oasis Floral Hydration Hair Mist. Rose water, honey, camellia & jasmine oil intensively hydrate coarse curls.
You can also:
- Leave your conditioner on your curls for the maximum time recommended with our Insulated Shower Cap placed on top. The shower cap will promote heat from the scalp and help open up the cuticles in the hair shaft all for more moisture and hydration
- Deep condition weekly
- Use our Rose Water & Honey Leave-in Detangler or our Sweet Hibiscus Twist & Braid Cream as a daily moisturiser
How can I strengthen my coils?
Did you know Hibiscus strengthens coils & slows down the premature greying process? Try our hibiscus infused stylers from our Style Me Range to add strength to your curls with the help of soy and rice proteins. Our range includes: Sweet Hibiscus Curl Activating Lotion, Curl Defining Gel, Twist & Braid Cream and Curl Volumizing Foam.
We love hibiscus! Here's a few reasons why:
- Thickens hair
- Stops hair loss
- Excellently nourishes dry coils
Greys, silvers or clears - whatever you want to name them, own them! They are part of your natural journey and are streaks of wisdom, could we say? Care for your grey curls with the knowledge provided above and watch those gorgeous greys blossom! You've got this.Naturally Yours,
The Team at Flora & Curl